Thread Closed 
Rating Thread Options
Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation
Post: #1 Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 06:47 PM

Unregistered

Hello All

I wanted to give you some top notch information to challenge Anthony Colpo and James Krieger.

James Krieger is the bullsh&%tter, not Gary Taubes. Gary Taubes, as imperfect as his own replacement model is for obesity, is absolutely correct to criticize the 2,000 year old nostrum " eat less, move more" that is no more likely to work today than back then.

Dr. Jeffrey Friedman says that advances in 21 st century medical science will allow is to do much better than reiterate that nonsense. It does NOT treat obesity long term.

James Kreiger uses small sample sizes, short term, cherry picked , obscure studies to support his agenda. They are NOT reputable. Perhaps those two uneducated clowns ought to familairize themselves with the Women's Health Initiative Trial, where it was tightly controlled and very well conducted to ensure patients stayed on their diets.

Women ate 360 calories LESS for eight years. The result? INCREASE in waist circumference and andominal fat.

Those guys are part of the diet industry which exists precariously on false assumptions and false promises.

I encourage all of you to publicly challenge those guys the next time they bully people on other forums with their misinformation or when they constantly criticize Gary Taubes

Dr. Jeffrey Friedman is a GENIUS. He discovered leptin and is probably the TOP obesity researcher in the world.

Please watch all of his numerous lectures available on YouTube anbd Google videos.

Please read Dr. Linda Bacon's FAQ section where she publicly dismantled Krieger's assertions from a fan boy.

http://www.lindabacon.org/faqs_calorie%2...oring.html

Please read Dr. Linda Bacon's manifesto

http://www.lindabacon.org/HAESbook/pdf_f...ifesto.pdf

Yep, they were embarrassed badly.

Please see my blog where I completely debunk those 3 jokers.

http://razwell.blogspot.com

James Kriger can insult Gary Taubes all day long , but that does NOT change the fact that his own advice us WORTHLESS. The truth is science does not yet know how to make an obese person lean and maintain it long term ( decade or more )

The TRUTH is we do NOT know nearly enough about fat cell behavior and regulation .

The TRUTH is we are still figuring this obesity thing out. There are far more unknowns than knowns and real obesity researchers will admit this.

A good scientist works tireless for many years to disprove his own hypothesis. All Colpo and Krieger are interested in is defending their own failed theory. They are the complete opposites of scientists, and they are arrogant and mean on top of it all.

Do not let Anthony Colpo and James Krieger con you. Hold on to your wallet tightly. They only are fooling the lesser educated among us.

I think it's time someone confronted Colpo publicly. I am glad my blog did that and shows him to be the misinformed person he really is.

People , do a Google search of "Dunning Kruger Effect". That's what Anthony Colpo has, as well as delusions of grandeur.

Those 2 jokers are nowhere near as familair with the scientiic literature on obesity and body fat regulation as Dr. Jeffrey Friedman and Dr. Linda Bacon are. There is nothing those Internet clowns could throw at them that they would not already be very knowledgeable about.

I really despise those 2 bullies and their actions , and I hope more people will make use of this information from reputable sources to challenge them.

They are self appointed Internet gurus, nothing more. Their sites make nothing more than good comedy.

Take care,

Razwell
Post: #2 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2010 08:16 PM by Niklas.)

Senior Low-Carber

Both Anthony Colpo and James Krieger are spot on.
Taubes doesn't really understand science because his conceptual errors are unexcusable.
What is really ironic is that every LC diet does is making people eat less and (sometimes) move more.
There's no LC diet that isn't hypocaloric and everyone who claimed to eat a lot and not gain weight, had actually an intake
of 1100 calories at most, once calculated with fitday. Sorry but supporting low-carb doesn't mean supporting pseudo-scientific nonsense like "insulin makes us fat" or "calories are irrelevant" or "exercise makes you eat more".
Post: #3 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:22 PM

Unregistered

(11-30-2010 08:13 PM)Niklas Wrote:  Both Anthony Colpo and James Krieger are spot on.
Taubes doesn't really understand science because his conceptual errors are unexcusable.
What is really ironic is that every LC diet does is making people eat less and (sometimes) move more.
There's no LC diet that isn't hypocaloric and everyone who claimed to eat a lot and not gain weight, had actually an intake
of 1100 calories at most, once calculated with fitday. Sorry but supporting low-carb doesn't mean supporting pseudo-scientific nonsense like "insulin makes us fat" or "calories are irrelevant" or "exercise makes you eat more".

You obviously did not bother to watch Dr. Jeffrey Friedman detailed lectures.

You obviously did not bother to read my blog.

You did not bother to read Dr. Linda Bacon or this

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/30

THIS ALONE REFUTES COLPO AND KRIEGER[/b]

No, Colpo and Krieger are NOT "spot on" . They are WAY OFF, and NOT familiar with the literature on this.

They shoud read The Women's Health Initiative Study AGAIN- a REPUTABLE, LONGER TERM LARGE SMAPLE SIZE QUALITY STUDY that was well controlled .

The women ate 360 calories a day LESS for 8 years . The result ? They had INCREASED WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE, INCREASED ABDOMINAL FAT.

Weight is NOT under concious control to a very large degree, and our bodies reguilatory systems are LONG TERM - YEARS- not meal to meal or day to day. NO ONE CAN BALANCE THE MILLIONS OF CALORIES EATEN AND EXPENDED OVER YEARS.

Calorie counting does NOT work VERY LONG TERM. Again we do NOT have control over the energy balance equation to a very larage degree.

Complex feedback loops control our weight.

Diet and exercise have a .001% success rate. This is even when people MAINTAIN their diet and exercise programs BIOLOGY dicates this.

Dr. Jeffrey Friedman's research and studies of international samples of monozygotic twisnb reared apart show the twins had the SAME body fat levels despite different lifestyles. This PROVES obesity's genetic component is massive and oinly possibly surpaased by height.

Diets do NOT work. Science shows thi s over and over asgain. The idea losing weight and maintaning it is simply monitoring your calories is well disp[roved by the scientific literature.

Sorry those guys are NOT spot on and they are NOt. Dr. Jeffrey Friedman is a genius and it is HE who is correct, not those Internet crackpots.

Let's see....... Anthony Colpo , an Internet huckster with a serious case of DUNNING KRUGER EFFECT

vs

DR. JEFFREY FRIEDMAN , a GENIUS NOBEL LEVEL SCIENTIST and probably the TOP expert on obesity in the WORLD ?

hmm..... difficult decision who to believe........

People like Anthony Colpo are a dime a dozen. They have deeply held BELIEF SYSTEMS, NOT supported by unbiased quality science.
Post: #4 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:34 PM

Unregistered

I can do this too.

Nah, they're stupid, and their mothers dress them funny.

See?
Post: #5 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:35 PM

Unregistered

(11-30-2010 08:34 PM)veggienft Wrote:  .
I can do this too.

See?

My assertiosn are BACKED BY REPUTABLE TOP NOTCH WORLD RENOWNED PIONEERING SCIENTISTS, like Dr. Jeffrey Friedman the man who discovered leptin.

What Colpo says is COMPLETELY CONTRADICTED by the EXPERTS.

You need to challenge these misinformed Internet gurus.
Post: #6 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:39 PM

Unregistered

Again READ MY LINKS.

READ Dr. Linda Bacon;s MANIFESTO

READ Dr. Linda Bacon's FAQ section on "Calorie Monitoring" where she takes apart Krieger.

WATCH Dr. Jeffrey Friedman's NUMEROUS lectures on YouTube and Google vidoes

Read my blog http://razwell.blogspot.com ( which has a lot of those scientists' research)

BEFORE COMMENTING ON THIS POST.

PLEASE.
Post: #7 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 08:57 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I can do this too.

See?

LOVE THIS !!!!
Post: #8 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 09:18 PM

Unregistered

(11-30-2010 08:57 PM)saved0ne Wrote:  
I can do this too.

See?

LOVE THIS !!!!

JAMES KRIEGER AND ANTHONY COLPO ARE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH.

THEY ARE ONLY IN THIS TO MAKE MONEY.
Post: #9 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 09:42 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

If I type in caps SO THAT YOU THINK I"M SHOUTING FOR EMPHASIS, does that make me more believeable? Sory, I don't know how to change the typeface to make the caps heavier. Then you'd believe me, I'm sure.

kevin
Post: #10 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 09:45 PM

Senior Low-Carber

(11-30-2010 08:22 PM)Razwell Wrote:  The women ate 360 calories a day LESS for 8 years . The result ? They had INCREASED WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE, INCREASED ABDOMINAL FAT.

This is simple impossible, like transmution of matter or something.
They simple weren't in a controlled setting and just mis-reported calories. That why studies like days are worthless, you need an hospital or prison setting.

Quote:Weight is NOT under concious control to a very large degree, and our bodies reguilatory systems are LONG TERM - YEARS- not meal to meal or day to day. NO ONE CAN BALANCE THE MILLIONS OF CALORIES EATEN AND EXPENDED OVER YEARS.

You can't create matter our of nothing, you can't create fat out of thin air, it's simple impossible, it's like making 4 pound of yogurt using 1 pound of milk; it's magic and magic is too unpredictable to be analyzed by science.

Quote:Diets do NOT work. Science shows thi s over and over asgain. The idea losing weight and maintaning it is simply monitoring your calories is well disproved by the scientific literature.

It's actually totally proven, like 99% of nutrition studies show a direct exponential correlation between calories and weight loss or gain. As long as there are people who are losing weight, it means that it all about calories, because whether you're LC, paleo, instinctive eating, vegan, macrobiotic, ketogenic ... if you're losing you're taking less caloreis than you burn and it takes no more than a trip to fitday website to prove this. The point is that monitoring calories is not simple, because the caloric value we give to food and the caloric value of our metabolism are all aproximative and ever-changing. The best way is to find a way to reduce calories without consciously monitoring them by decreasing appetite, intermittent fasting, avoiding certain foods, eyeballing portions, eating till 80% full, eating low caloric-density foods and all these sort of stuff.

Quote:DR. JEFFREY FRIEDMAN , a GENIUS NOBEL LEVEL SCIENTIST and probably the TOP expert on obesity in the WORLD ?

It doesn't matter who says something but what is being said.
The deepest truth is still the truth even if claimed by an homeless heroin addict and the worst nonsense is still nonsense even if claimed by someone with 50 Ph.D
And the history is full of geniuses who suddenly embraced crackpots theories. There's no such a thing as a genius, we all are both knowledgeable or ignorant according to the context and we all are subject to human quirks, twists, naivety and weird beliefs no one excluded.
Post: #11 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 10:16 PM

Unregistered

(11-30-2010 09:45 PM)Niklas Wrote:  
(11-30-2010 08:22 PM)Razwell Wrote:  The women ate 360 calories a day LESS for 8 years . The result ? They had INCREASED WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE, INCREASED ABDOMINAL FAT.

This is simple impossible, like transmution of matter or something.
They simple weren't in a controlled setting and just mis-reported calories. That why studies like days are worthless, you need an hospital or prison setting.

Quote:Weight is NOT under concious control to a very large degree, and our bodies reguilatory systems are LONG TERM - YEARS- not meal to meal or day to day. NO ONE CAN BALANCE THE MILLIONS OF CALORIES EATEN AND EXPENDED OVER YEARS.

You can't create matter our of nothing, you can't create fat out of thin air, it's simple impossible, it's like making 4 pound of yogurt using 1 pound of milk; it's magic and magic is too unpredictable to be analyzed by science.

Quote:Diets do NOT work. Science shows thi s over and over asgain. The idea losing weight and maintaning it is simply monitoring your calories is well disproved by the scientific literature.

It's actually totally proven, like 99% of nutrition studies show a direct exponential correlation between calories and weight loss or gain. As long as there are people who are losing weight, it means that it all about calories, because whether you're LC, paleo, instinctive eating, vegan, macrobiotic, ketogenic ... if you're losing you're taking less caloreis than you burn and it takes no more than a trip to fitday website to prove this. The point is that monitoring calories is not simple, because the caloric value we give to food and the caloric value of our metabolism are all aproximative and ever-changing. The best way is to find a way to reduce calories without consciously monitoring them by decreasing appetite, intermittent fasting, avoiding certain foods, eyeballing portions, eating till 80% full, eating low caloric-density foods and all these sort of stuff.

Quote:DR. JEFFREY FRIEDMAN , a GENIUS NOBEL LEVEL SCIENTIST and probably the TOP expert on obesity in the WORLD ?

It doesn't matter who says something but what is being said.
The deepest truth is still the truth even if claimed by an homeless heroin addict and the worst nonsense is still nonsense even if claimed by someone with 50 Ph.D
And the history is full of geniuses who suddenly embraced crackpots theories. There's no such a thing as a genius, we all are both knowledgeable or ignorant according to the context and we all are subject to human quirks, twists, naivety and weird beliefs no one excluded.

All disproven rebuttals.

There ias NO REPUTABLE study ( large sample sizes and long term) that show LONG TERM WEIGHT LOSS MAINTENANCE.

READ MY BLOG. It discusses how the NWCR elite are GAINING.

72% of the elite are now GAINING.

DIETS ARE NOT PROVEN- NO MATTER WHAT RATIO OF CARBS , PROTEIN OR FAT ARE USED, NO MATTER WHAT EXERCISE METHOD OF EXERCISE - PEOPLE REGAIN.

DIETS ARE FAILURES FOR LONG TERM WEIGHT LOSS . All the studies show this.

No matter how many times the sceintsts repeat the experiemtns and refine their methods the SAME HOLDS TRUE

DIETS. DON;T WORK. LONG TERM

LONG TERM IS THE WORD.

SORRY, THE BODY IS IN CONTROL ONG TERM. AND IT CAN UNDERMINE THE BEST OF EFFORTS.

I strongly suggest you get familiar with the evidence

READ my links

Diets make you FATTER long term There are many mechanisms

READ MY BLOG

*Transplanted mice got FAT despikte the SAME number of calories the controls ate . The gut microbiata stuidie show this

*Mice fed during sleep hours got WAY FATTER than mice fed dueing awake hourse DESPITE the SAME CALORIES

*Diabetsic eat 5,000 calories and STILL DROIP WEIGHT

*The REPUTABLE Women's health Initaive Trail which was VERY WELL CONTROLLED to make sure they reduced calories by 360 for 8 years. THEY GAINED WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE.

And NO this is NOT "impossible". It shows there is MORE TO IT than just caloriesin/calories out.

..YOUR beloved theory is WRONG. The body ADJUSTED, THEY GAINED WEIGHT. tHE METABOLISM WAS PROBABLY SLOWED.

HOW MUCH MORE EVIDENCE MUST ACCUMULATE BEFORE THE DIET INDUSTRY CALORIE THEORY PROPONENST PACK IT UP AND STOP SCAMMING THE PUBLIC?

ALL of these things are CONTRADICTIONS to the calories are everything hypothesis

CLEARLY THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON OTHER THAN JUST CALORIES IN.;/CALORIES OUT

GOOGLE " DR. TUREK MICE CALORIES"

Sorry dude all you can do is PARROT Krieger and Colpo.

You fail PLEASE GET FAMILIAR.
Post: #12 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 10:28 PM

Unregistered

AGAIN, READ MY BLOG

ALL THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO DISCREDIT COLPO AND KRIEGER IS THERE- WITH REFERENCES.

Post: #13 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 10:32 PM

Unregistered

READ UP below

Eat Less Weigh MORE ( with REPUTABLE study after study reference)

http://razwell.blogspot.com/2010/11/eat-...lorie.html

My blog is ROCK SOLID REPUTABLE SCIENCE FROM TOP NOTCH SCIENTISTS.

I do not admire Colpo who has a serious case of DUNNING KRUGER EFFECT

Anthony Colpo is NOT a reputable source of information.
Post: #14 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 11-30-2010 11:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2010 11:39 PM by Niklas.)

Senior Low-Carber

The nonsense Friedman spews is easily disproved by thousands of people once obese losing weight and maintaning it and by the thousands of studies showing the difference in metabolic rate between individual of the same height is minimal. Everyone muscles, whether from a 6 years old or 60 years old, burns the exact same amonut of calories per pounds and even the difference between a healthy 16 years old and a 50 years ols lady with hypothyroidism is something like 15 calories more per hour. Friedman says data is accumulating our weight is not under our control because genes dictactes the metabolic rate but he is just imagining such data since evidence is actually consistent that the popular theory that your metabolism can be or become so slow that you burn almost nothing is pure junk. Differences in metabolism between people, between thin people and obese people too, have been measured and are often minimal.

All of this has actually been studies carefully, you need to maintain a certain weight for some time in order for it become your new setpoint. Most people lose weight through unecessary strict and obessive compulsive diet, they look forward to the last day of their diet and then start eating the same things they used to. But those who make dietary lifestyle change instead of dieting do lose weight and mantain the weight loss. War prisoners or castways never fail to lose weight, so much for genes. Yes, it's hard in this society because food is everywhere. When actually food required an effort to pick/prepare/cook/ it, obesity was unknown. I like what Michael Pollan says about food "eat all the junk food you want, as long as it's made by you". There's no doubt that easy access to food without a proportional effort to obtain it are the main reason of overweight, there's no overweight in poor countries (although there's among the poor people in the western world because high caloric-density and high appetite-stimulat foods are actually the cheapest)
Post: #15 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 10:28 AM

Unregistered

(11-30-2010 11:31 PM)Niklas Wrote:  The nonsense Friedman spews is easily disproved by thousands of people once obese losing weight and maintaning it and by the thousands of studies showing the difference in metabolic rate between individual of the same height is minimal. Everyone muscles, whether from a 6 years old or 60 years old, burns the exact same amonut of calories per pounds and even the difference between a healthy 16 years old and a 50 years ols lady with hypothyroidism is something like 15 calories more per hour. Friedman says data is accumulating our weight is not under our control because genes dictactes the metabolic rate but he is just imagining such data since evidence is actually consistent that the popular theory that your metabolism can be or become so slow that you burn almost nothing is pure junk. Differences in metabolism between people, between thin people and obese people too, have been measured and are often minimal.

All of this has actually been studies carefully, you need to maintain a certain weight for some time in order for it become your new setpoint. Most people lose weight through unecessary strict and obessive compulsive diet, they look forward to the last day of their diet and then start eating the same things they used to. But those who make dietary lifestyle change instead of dieting do lose weight and mantain the weight loss. War prisoners or castways never fail to lose weight, so much for genes. Yes, it's hard in this society because food is everywhere. When actually food required an effort to pick/prepare/cook/ it, obesity was unknown. I like what Michael Pollan says about food "eat all the junk food you want, as long as it's made by you". There's no doubt that easy access to food without a proportional effort to obtain it are the main reason of overweight, there's no overweight in poor countries (although there's among the poor people in the western world because high caloric-density and high appetite-stimulat foods are actually the cheapest)

Your argument is flawed on so many levels. You and your heros are VERY UNFAMILIAR with the literature

When you DIET ( modertae to significant caloric restriction) your body ABSOLUTELY DOES SLOW YOUR METABOLIC RATE- SIGNIFICANTLY, LOWERS TEMP, FOGGY THINKING, EXTREME EFFICIENY WITH EVERY MUSCLE MOVE- Stephan Guyanet talskj of this too)

Now the SAME CALORIES THAT DID NOT PRODUCE FAT GAIN BEFORE NOW GET YOU FATTER.

YOUR SETPOINT INCREASES.

REAL scientiosts like DR. Stephan Guyanet Dr Jeffrey FRiedman and Linda Bacon KNOW this.
I know htis FIRSTHAND- from when I dieted and was misinformed 2 years back

LESIONS ON A CERTAIN PART OF THE BRAIN CAN MAKE YOU OBESE.

You would do well to :

Look up the Vermont Prisoner's Study, which is featured on my blog.

Michael Hebranko or Manuel Uribe would NOT lose that much weight. Their organ tissue, muscle etc would go first . They would die of starvation fitst before significant fat cells were released.

To you and your diet industry heros obesity is simplistic and certain.

To REAL SCIENTIOSTS, not laughable Internet hucksters, obesity is FULL OF UNCERTAINTLY, AND EXTREMELY COMPLEX.

I have news for you, Niklas. Dr. Jeffrey Friedman does not spew nonsense. He is the most eminent obesity researcher in the world.

That man is a genuis and guess what ? YOUR HEROS USE HIS DISCOVERY. The man himself knows FAR MORE about leptin than your heros.

He is the MAN WHO DISCOVERD LEPTIN

YOU HEROS ONLY WRITE ABOUT LEPTIN- THAT MAN DECODED AND DISCOVERED IT - May 1994 to be exact.

Sorry, dude. Dr. Jeffrey Friedman KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

REA SCIENTISTS ( not Internet crackpots with a serious case of DUNNING KRUGER EFFECT, like yourself, are the only people criticizing him)

i suggest you get an education on this topic.

WE HAVE MUCH MORE TO LEARN ABOUT OBESITY.

Yep the most brlliant minds in the world are stumped by obesity but Anthony colpo and James Kriger have it figured out....
GET REAL !

Perhaps if you were a little more intelligent you would see this.
Post: #16 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 10:45 AM

Unregistered

The stuff Anthony Colpo and James Krieger put out is DIET IONDUSTRY PROPAGANDA - JUNK SCIENCE.

POOR STUDIES, SHORT SAMPLE SOZES, SHORT TERM AND WEAK, WEAK EVIDENCE.

The FACTS in the REPUTABLLE scientific literature, (what Dr Stephan Guyanet, Dr Linda Bacon and Dr Jeffrey Friedman read) SHOWS THAT PEOPLE REGAIN

The success rate of a long term decade or more weight maintenance is .001%

THAT IS UNGODLY LOW.

THE CURRENT USELESS NOSTRUM THE DIET INDUTSRY PARROTS IS NOT EFFECTIVE.

THAT link PROVES the diet industry all p[arrot each other and have NO VALIDITYT OT THEIR CLAIMS. IT IS ALL A BELIEF SYSTEM - WITHOUT SCIENTIFIC SU[P[ORT

You have to love these Internet morons huh? Criticizing Dr. Jeffrey FRiedman, but WRITING ABOUT WHAT HE DISCOVERED ON THEIr SITES- LEPTIN

THOSE jokers did NOT discover this hormone - DR. FRIEDMAN DID

THIS BOGGLES THE MIND!

IF ANYONE IS GOING TO CURE OBESITY IT CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE THE PEA MINDED JAMES KRIEGER OR ANTHONY COLPO - THEY ARE JOKES.

DR. FRIEDMAN MIGHT CURE IT, WORKIGN WITH OTHER QUALITY SCIENTISTS

We need to understand obesity at the CELLULAR LEVEL

FAR TOO LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT FAT CELL BEHAVIOR CURRENTLY. REAL SCIENTOISTS ADMIT THSI.

I will not put any more effort into responding to Niklas or his heros - all of whom have a case of DUNNING KRUGER EFFECT.
Post: #17 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 06:09 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Razwell,

Please look up argumentum ad vericundiam.

No one on this forum who believes calories need to be reduced to lose weight is unfamiliar with decreased metabolic rate as a result of calorie restriction. I don't know (or particularly care) about Colpo, but Krieger mentions adaptive thermogenesis as one of the problems facing people who've lost excess fat and not seeking to regain it.

In the study you cite where participants ate 360 calories LESS for eight years, the question which needs to be asked is "LESS than what?" 360 calories less than what was needed to maintain a stable weight at the starting weight with the starting metabolism is unlikely to remain a 360 calorie deficit for a lower weight let alone for a metabolism adjusted to a decreased intake nor a metabolism affected by aging eight years. To suggest otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

I don't know (or particularly care) about Colpo, but Krieger and his intellectual compatriots acknowledge adaptive thermogenesis from caloric restriction and employee various strategies to reduce its impact.
Post: #18 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 06:35 PM

Unregistered

No one has figured out obesity yet.

Dr . Jeffrey Friedman is well above James Krieger in knowledge. If anyone will do it, it will be him or an equal of his.

James Krieger provides distractions with his constant misuse of the logical fallacies. Anbother poster noticed Krieger's shenanigans too and I am glad . THe man is a cherry pciker and has things to SELL. D.r Friedman does NOT.

Defer to the true experts just like any other disease.
Post: #19 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 07:25 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Please list the logical fallacies employed by Krieger.

After having it pointed out that Razwell has used arguments containing a specific, named logical fallacy, Razwell continues to make arguments containing that same, named logical fallacy. On top of this, Razwell is making an argument based on two versions of the argumentum ad hominem fallacy:

1. Krieger is known to be paid for his work, so he is incorrect.
and
2. Friedman is not believed; by Razwell; to be paid for his work , so he is correct.

Frankly, all of these calls to trust those deigned experts by Razwell and to read Razwell's blog comes across as spamming behavior. There's nothing wrong with citing a reference found on one's blog, but to make rebuttals containing phrases such as "You obviously did not read my blog" isn't right. What makes the information in Razwell's blog both so important that it must be read, yet not important enough for Razwell to directly quote when making statements to insult and condemn Krieger and Colpo and praise and deify Bacon and Friedman?
Post: #20 RE: Let's Challenge James Krieger and Anthony Colpo Obesity Misinformation , 12-01-2010 07:52 PM

Junior Low-Carber

I feel like we all could call up venerable experts (by our own regard for them) and studies that prove exactly what we believe. Taubes is admirable for many reasons, but I can't wrap my head around a few of the things he says. I do admire Staffan Lindeberg, but that's for another day.

It's pointless to argue. EVEN MORE POINTLESS TO ARGUE IN ALL CAPS. I appreciate passion, but there are more effective ways to channel it. If something has been proven applicable and effective in your own life, who cares what SOMEONE ELSE THINKS ABOUT IT. Science or not, I'm taking care of myself the way I desire to take care of myself; and to be quite terrible - I don't care what anybody else eats, insists upon, or cites. I'm pretty confident the "wrong" ones will suffer for their own disillusionment. I hate to tie this argument to the rampant infertility our population suffers on an increasing scale...but I think it's food for thought.

Liz Wolfe
Steve's Original
Cave Girl Eats
Thread Closed